Article by Mike Worcester from the Cokato Historical Society's newsletter In the Midst Of, Late Fall, 1998, Vol. 18 No. 4
The smell of fresh baked goods wafted down the dirt-lined streets of Cokato for blocks around. No question about it, there is almost no more wondrous smell than that of bread just out of the oven. For almost nine decades, that smell emanated from the Cokato Bakery & Lunch Room, at the corner of Broadway Avenue and Second Street. Now, that once grand building stands on the verge of demolition. When it goes, one of the oldest downtown structures will be no more.
The following is an abridged version of "Town Fountain 2" from the museum's archives. Possibly from an old exhibit label.
A project of the Cokato Women’s Civic Improvement League, the town fountain was installed in July 1916, at a cost of $125. The fountain, seen in this 1940 photo, was to be a “gift to the people of Cokato and its vicinity for public comfort and utility." As noted by Maude Donahue, league president, it was to have drinking space for man, horse, and dog.
Removed sometime in the late 1950s, the fountain was retired to a city storage shed. In 1988 a group of museum volunteers removed the fountain from storage and installed it on the front lawn of the museum.