Article by Cokato Museum Staff
In the early 1970s, Highway 12 gained another commercial building, 525 Cokato Street West. Since opening its doors on Monday, February 22, 1971, the building has housed four different businesses throughout its existence, each a part of the food industry. These include the Norseman Restaurant, Daniel's Family Restaurant, The Red Goat Bar and Grill, and The Bait & Hook.
Mike Worcester, "Lost Cokato: The Chicken Shack," In The Midst Of, Cokato Historical Society (October, 2012) vol. 32 no. 4.
In June 2000, a building moving company arrived in town. Their goal that day? To pick up and haul off a long-standing piece of the town’s history. On that day, the building which had housed the Little Chicken Shack was taken away.
Mike Worcester, "Lost Cokato: The "3.2" Joints," In the Midst Of, Cokato Historical Society, Vol 37, No. 4 (September, 2017).
On election day 2006, the voters of Cokato shocked many, including themselves, by approving a ballot issue which allowed the city to issue licenses for the sale of strong beer, wine, and liquor. It brought to an end the status of Cokato being a “dry” town, a legacy dating back over ninety years.
We’ve written before about how Cokato became a dry town and what that meant. Our purpose here is to note how even with that dry status, area residents could buy beer at what were called “3.2 joints”.
Once National Prohibition ended in Minnesota in early 1933, the 3.2 establishments could apply for licenses. Many did over the years. By 2007 when the city was given the authority to issue licenses for strong beverages, only one was left, Nelson’s Bar & Grill, on Millard Avenue.