Mike Worcester, "Radios Come to Cokato." In The Midst Of, Cokato Historical Society (October, 2004) vol. 24 no. 4.
The reception was fuzzy, the antenna took a while to set up, and the equipment at the telephone office caused too much interference. Despite these hurdles, in the summer of 1922, a new technological wonder was introduced to the people of the town. In 1922, radios came to Cokato.
Revised. Mike Worcester, "Lost Cokato: The Cecile Theatre." In The Midst Of, Cokato Historical Society (Late Fall, 1996) vol. 16 no. 4.
Cokato Theatre on Millard Avenue.
Motion pictures first appeared in Cokato in 1907, when a group of men petitioned the city council for permission to use the second floor of the village hall to show movies. Shown once or twice a week, these silent movies--which usually ran about twenty minutes--thrilled local audiences.
By Irene Bender from the Summer 1995 Midst Of v. 15 No. 3.
One day in early 1892, a bicycle-rider came to Cokato and inquired about roads west of Cokato. He stopped at the post office, which was located on the west side of north Millard Avenue. The frame building, owned by Magnus Holmstrom, later burned down. The postmaster at that time was C. R. Peterson. A large group of men congregated about to see the newfangled apparatus and admired the "safety" bicycle. The transient took from his pocket a camera and snapped a photo of the group. The camera was also something of a novelty, and it proved to be exceptionally interesting to Cokato citizens. About three weeks later, Mr. Peterson received the picture seen above.
Included in the photo are: Jacob Ojanpera (immediately behind bike), John Tracy (with right hand on bike), C. R. Peterson (next to Tracy), and W. H. Bull (next to rear wheel and no relation to H. C. Bull).
Blog articles are subject to copyright.