This article is from the In the Midst archives, November, 2019 Volume 39, No. 4 issue.
This year (2019), the Dassel-Cokato football team has championed against adversity, reaching the state tournament for the first time since the Chargers’ 1973 season. In honor of this marvelous accomplishment, let’s take a quick look back at the start of the Charger legacy.
During the fall of 1972, the Dassel Vikings and Cokato Cardinals set aside their long rivalry, merging into the newly formed Dassel-Cokato Chargers. This first team was comprised of Dan Latt, Dennis Hendrickson, Terry Weir, Tom Morris, Jim Martinson, Mike Holmquist, Jerome Woetzel, Gordon Nelson, Todd Gabrielson, Perry Hardel, Joe Kelly, Darrel Danielson, Brian Larson, Jeff Murphy, Ken Abramson, Larry Bollman, Doug Abramson, Steve Pankake, Galen Johnson, Mark Peterson, Dennis Danielson, Kim Nelson, Tom Nelson, Brian Danielson, Kurt Olson, Ron Beckman, Peter Settergren, Dave Harkman, Keith Bollman, Greg Johnson, Keith Olson, Kim Wiley, Gordon Nikkola, Dave Danberg, Calvin Keith, Brad Johnson, Jeff Johnson, Andres Zumaeta, Wayne Peterson, Marshall Carlsted, Rick Beckman, Mike Jorgenson, Barry McKay, Paul Johnson, Brian Thiele, Doug Carlson, and John Nelson. They were coached by Head Coach Dave Urness, and assistants Phil Ernst and Cliff Paulson.
By the end of the first season of D-C football, the Chargers had reached the Class B State
tournament. Their first round was against the Appleton Aces in Wilmar. According to the November 16, 1972 Cokato Enterprise, D-C beat the Aces in Wilmar 15-14. As a result, D-C High School was fired up! In the same article, Cokato Enterprise reporter and D-C teacher Lee Rosenquist recalled one particular poster hanging in the high school “Let it rain, let it snow, there is just one more goal to go.”
For the state championship, D-C faced Mount Iron at the St. Cloud Apollo High School field. According to the D-C 1973 yearbook, the Chargers lost 54-6, achieving second place.
The following is an abridged version of "Town Fountain 2" from the museum's archives. Possibly from an old exhibit label.
A project of the Cokato Women’s Civic Improvement League, the town fountain was installed in July 1916, at a cost of $125. The fountain, seen in this 1940 photo, was to be a “gift to the people of Cokato and its vicinity for public comfort and utility." As noted by Maude Donahue, league president, it was to have drinking space for man, horse, and dog.
Removed sometime in the late 1950s, the fountain was retired to a city storage shed. In 1988 a group of museum volunteers removed the fountain from storage and installed it on the front lawn of the museum.
By Irene Bender from the Summer 1995 Midst Of v. 15 No. 3.
One day in early 1892, a bicycle-rider came to Cokato and inquired about roads west of Cokato. He stopped at the post office, which was located on the west side of north Millard Avenue. The frame building, owned by Magnus Holmstrom, later burned down. The postmaster at that time was C. R. Peterson. A large group of men congregated about to see the newfangled apparatus and admired the "safety" bicycle. The transient took from his pocket a camera and snapped a photo of the group. The camera was also something of a novelty, and it proved to be exceptionally interesting to Cokato citizens. About three weeks later, Mr. Peterson received the picture seen above.
Included in the photo are: Jacob Ojanpera (immediately behind bike), John Tracy (with right hand on bike), C. R. Peterson (next to Tracy), and W. H. Bull (next to rear wheel and no relation to H. C. Bull).