Mike Worcester, "Lost Cokato: The Cokato Airport." In The Midst Of, Cokato Historical Society (February, 2006) vol. 26 no. 1.
Anderson Airways around 1944-1945.
Yes, dear reader, you read that correctly. Cokato once had an airport.
The airport was located on a parcel of the Gordon F. Anderson farm, two miles northeast of town in Section 25 of Cokato Township. For most of its existence, it went by the name Anderson Airways.
Article from the Cokato Historical Society's newsletter In the Midst Of, Spring, 1995, Vol. 15 No. 2.
Marilyn Eastlund, Annamae Ryti, Alice Ekstrand, and Leora "Tory" Easton typing The Cokato Bugle.
For Cokato men and women who were off serving their country during World War II,
receiving news from home was a pleasure that brightened many dark days. The Cokato Bugle, a newsletter published by the Usher's Club of the Cokato Lutheran Church, provided that much-appreciated news. It was mailed to all the Cokato soldiers who were serving their country. Contributions from all the congregations in the Cokato area helped finance the Bugle's printing and mailing. Each edition included a spiritual message from Pastor Paul Andreen, along with news about life in Cokato.
Mike Worcester In the Midst May, 2003 (vol 23, no 2), copywright Cokato Historical Society.
The origins of the American Legion date to the months immediately following the end of the Great War (later called World War I). In March 1919, a gathering of 1,000 veterans of that war gathered in Paris and adopted a charter and temporary constitution. This group completed its organizational efforts in St. Louis, in May 1919, making plans for a permanent home in New York. Congress granted the Legion a national charter in September 1919, a its inaugural national convention was held in Minneapolis that same month. In 2001, the Legion had over three million members spread across 16,000 local posts. Though the Legion is not the only veterans organization in America, it is by far the largest.
Blog articles are subject to copyright.