Article by Johanna Ellison from the Cokato Historical Society's newsletter In the Midst Of, February, 2018, Vol. 38 No. 1.
The crack of stick on puck, the crisp tang of blade on ice is a staple of Cokato’s frigid winter memories. On trend with much of Minnesota, Cokato’s frozen lakes, rivers, and ponds became the surface of many hockey shinnies, scrimmages, and games. Although this recreational pastime has graced Cokato’s iced surfaces since the early 1900s, hockey as an organized sport did not originate in the area until the mid-1920s.
Near the Myrback bridge, on the snow-cleared ice of the Crow River, the first organized hockey team in the area laced up its skates in 1926. The team, formed by men largely from the Cokato, French Lake, and Annandale area, faced off against opposing teams of Eden Valley, St. Cloud, Paynesville, and Watkins.
The team’s success in this league eventually led to a sponsorship by a local Annandale merchant, who purchased the new uniforms for the men. Eventually some of the men on this team played for Cokato’s town team.
Cokato’s first organized hockey team emerged around the 1928 - 29 season, coinciding with the opening of the community skating rink. The rink, sponsored and run by the Cokato Lions Club, was built on Third Street, west of the Cokato Bottling Works building — approximately where the playground for Parkview Apartments now sits.
Cokato’s original team included Charlie Ilstrup, Alf Larson, Clay Calgren, Patsy Nelson, “Goheen” Johnson, Jube Tack, and Stanley Johnson. The roster, however, changed from game to game as players from other nearby teams sometimes subbed for Cokato players.
During the 1928-29 season, Cokato played local teams such as Howard Lake, Litchfield, Stockholm, French Lake, and St. Cloud. French Lake was their only loss of the year (final score as 4-2). According to the January 24, 1929 Cokato Enterprise, French Lake’s final goal was scored by Cokato player “Tiny” Johnson “who became flustered and shot the puck into the Cokato net.”
During the 1930s the Cokato team came to be sponsored by the Cokato Co-op Oil Association. Another outdoor rink was built by the Co-op station (which was located where the Marketplace is now). By 1936-1937 season Cokato was a formidable opponent, winning a trophy from the Central Minnesota Hockey Championships.
The team included Irvin and Chester Lundeen; Roy, Reynold, and Ernest Hill; Paul and Ray Samuelson; Virgil and Raymond Johnson; and Melvin and Kenneth Long. With the team’s growing success, Cokato’s love of hockey started to pick up momentum. The following winter, a second rink was flooded next to the Co-op rink, with the purpose of meeting the demands of Cokato’s first high school team.
Although there are no records yet found that support the team lasted more than a year, Cokato High School did add hockey as one of its athletic programs for the 1937-38 season. The team was captained by Raymond Mattson and included teammates Norman Granquist, Willis Wessman, Delbert Wessman, Stanley Stevenson, Ronald Johnson and Roy Redmond. Subs for the high school team included Kenneth Kalberg, Oscar Johnson and Virgil Johnson.
The team went undefeated for the seven-game season, beating other local high school teams such as Granite Falls, Howard Lake, Dassel, and Watkins.
By December 1938, plans for a community rink in Peterson Park were under way. The rink was sponsored by Cokato post of the American Legion, the Legion Auxiliary, and the Cokato Association.
At some point between this winter and January of 1940, the iconic log home — a section of which now sits in the museum — became the warming house for the Peterson Park skating rink. From the winter of 1940-1941 this community rink became the home of Cokato’s Winter Carnival, an event which featured hockey games as a part of the entertainment.
Unfortunately, the warm winter months of January and February 1942 prevented a third Winter Carnival from occurring and hindered the hockey season. In addition, the outbreak of WWII for the United States drew many young men into service and away from the local rink. In fact, many town teams ceased organized play around this time. However, the youth and those that remained still kept the game going, skating at Peterson Park or any frozen surface they could get their skates on.
From 1946 and on, only brief mentions of hockey at the youth level are mentioned in the Cokato Enterprise. In January 1947, the Busy Farmers of Temperance Corner 4-H hockey club played a game against the Monticello 4-H team on Cokato Lake. Cokato players included Earl Keskey, Raymond Jarvi, Arnie Saari, Donald Nelson, and Reynold Lappi. These youth, as well as those that followed them, continued to play unorganized hockey for over a decade, carving the way for the next round of organized hockey in Cokato.
This article is from the In the Midst archives, November, 2019 Volume 39, No. 4 issue.
This year (2019), the Dassel-Cokato football team has championed against adversity, reaching the state tournament for the first time since the Chargers’ 1973 season. In honor of this marvelous accomplishment, let’s take a quick look back at the start of the Charger legacy.
During the fall of 1972, the Dassel Vikings and Cokato Cardinals set aside their long rivalry, merging into the newly formed Dassel-Cokato Chargers. This first team was comprised of Dan Latt, Dennis Hendrickson, Terry Weir, Tom Morris, Jim Martinson, Mike Holmquist, Jerome Woetzel, Gordon Nelson, Todd Gabrielson, Perry Hardel, Joe Kelly, Darrel Danielson, Brian Larson, Jeff Murphy, Ken Abramson, Larry Bollman, Doug Abramson, Steve Pankake, Galen Johnson, Mark Peterson, Dennis Danielson, Kim Nelson, Tom Nelson, Brian Danielson, Kurt Olson, Ron Beckman, Peter Settergren, Dave Harkman, Keith Bollman, Greg Johnson, Keith Olson, Kim Wiley, Gordon Nikkola, Dave Danberg, Calvin Keith, Brad Johnson, Jeff Johnson, Andres Zumaeta, Wayne Peterson, Marshall Carlsted, Rick Beckman, Mike Jorgenson, Barry McKay, Paul Johnson, Brian Thiele, Doug Carlson, and John Nelson. They were coached by Head Coach Dave Urness, and assistants Phil Ernst and Cliff Paulson.
By the end of the first season of D-C football, the Chargers had reached the Class B State
tournament. Their first round was against the Appleton Aces in Wilmar. According to the November 16, 1972 Cokato Enterprise, D-C beat the Aces in Wilmar 15-14. As a result, D-C High School was fired up! In the same article, Cokato Enterprise reporter and D-C teacher Lee Rosenquist recalled one particular poster hanging in the high school “Let it rain, let it snow, there is just one more goal to go.”
For the state championship, D-C faced Mount Iron at the St. Cloud Apollo High School field. According to the D-C 1973 yearbook, the Chargers lost 54-6, achieving second place.
The following is an abridged version of "Town Fountain 2" from the museum's archives. Possibly from an old exhibit label.
A project of the Cokato Women’s Civic Improvement League, the town fountain was installed in July 1916, at a cost of $125. The fountain, seen in this 1940 photo, was to be a “gift to the people of Cokato and its vicinity for public comfort and utility." As noted by Maude Donahue, league president, it was to have drinking space for man, horse, and dog.
Removed sometime in the late 1950s, the fountain was retired to a city storage shed. In 1988 a group of museum volunteers removed the fountain from storage and installed it on the front lawn of the museum.
By Irene Bender from the Summer 1995 Midst Of v. 15 No. 3.
One day in early 1892, a bicycle-rider came to Cokato and inquired about roads west of Cokato. He stopped at the post office, which was located on the west side of north Millard Avenue. The frame building, owned by Magnus Holmstrom, later burned down. The postmaster at that time was C. R. Peterson. A large group of men congregated about to see the newfangled apparatus and admired the "safety" bicycle. The transient took from his pocket a camera and snapped a photo of the group. The camera was also something of a novelty, and it proved to be exceptionally interesting to Cokato citizens. About three weeks later, Mr. Peterson received the picture seen above.
Included in the photo are: Jacob Ojanpera (immediately behind bike), John Tracy (with right hand on bike), C. R. Peterson (next to Tracy), and W. H. Bull (next to rear wheel and no relation to H. C. Bull).